One thing I've learned as I amble down the Writer's Road, is that we love to imagine who would best portray our characters on the silver screen. The only hitch -- if we go so far as to make our choices publicly known -- is this can also serve to interfere with the reader's imagination. This is not always a good thing. I can readily see how it might take away from a reader's experience; while the author creates a world and characters to explore, we want the reader to join us and imbue that world with life via their own imagination. This is why excellent books are called 'inspirational' or 'compelling', 'unforgettable' -- because the reader is drawn in, not simply shown what to see, or think. We become a part of the experience together, author and reader are co-creators. Instead of seeing it all in a full frontal, there is the tantalizing mystery that leaves us to imagine.

So I've wondered about doing any post on the actors and actresses I have considered to best emulate my characters -- obviously, I'm hoping that someday crazed fans will pour over this site to uncover all the angles and clues, the inspiration and anecdotes about my story, THE SOUL'S BELOVED. Do I want to taint the images in their minds as to how these characters appear for them? I want to leave some of that magical Mystery, right?

For now I won't be doing it, even though I know exactly who I would want to play Janus, for instance, and Klothos.

But what did occur to me as kinda cool is a PLAYLIST for one's novel. Music and lyric are powerful ways to convey a sense of a time, a person, a situation -- just as well as an image, in many cases. I have a whole bunch of songs that I listen to in order to 'get me in the mood' for working on my tale.

So, without further adieu, here are just a few vid's that fit the era and characters of THE SOUL'S BELOVED. It's a bit 80's, but that is the main era it is set in.

The Novel's Song: STORMS by Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac



This video has some awful moments (what does Stevie Nicks doing ballet have to do with this song, people?!), but it was the best demo of this song I could find. Close your eyes and just listen to the words, maybe?

Janus' song: SHAPE OF MY HEART by Sting


A haunting melody, the person described is Janus to the core.

Josephine's song: AMERICAN GIRL by Tom Petty


Micheal's song: WASTED TIME by The Eagles


The words say it all. For you writers out there, what video's or songs best convey your characeters, or even the breadth of your novel?

And, I tag Beth and Julie, Jen, Sandra and Jenny for this. There are some others I'd love to tag, but now I have to get back to writing...

~K

3 comments

  1. Julie Weathers on January 30, 2009 at 10:58 PM

    *laughs*

    Well, since my laptop has no sound, it would be difficult for me to play with this one.

    Suffice to say the Lord of the Rings music and Celtic music are the theme songs for Paladin.

     
  2. KA Cole on February 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM

    Bummer!
    Thanks for stopping by, nonetheless.

    (I'm off to go read your blog now...)
    K

     
  3. Anonymous on June 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM

    Hey, great minds!

    I'm still auditioning the song I want for the reunion/love scene toward the end of what will be the first book (if I ever get it finished instead of mucking about with songs and such!)

    Current favorites: "Woman in Chains" Tears For Fears, "Crash Into Me' Dave Matthews Band and "Safe In Your Arms" Paula Cole.