I'm enjoying Nathan Bransford's blog a lot these days (who is your pick to win the SUFPCx2?). I've added him to my blogroll.

So I was reading this entry (full of info!) and this led me here to Jeff Abbott (great post on how to get organized - who doesn't need that?), and that led me to the gold at the end of the rainbow, people! Evernote, where have you been all my life? This looks to be an amazing way to keep track of things online (and if you have an iPhone or the like, offline as well. Alas, I do not.) Check it out! You can track all those interesting tidbits you come across online, and it categorizes and organizes it for you. You can easily, quickly look up via word search what you are looking for. Awesome.

No more searching in my folders and lists for "17th century French fashion" (there's a wee hint about where we may go in my WIP, The Soul's Beloved, for those paying attention). No more banging my head on the keyboard because I somehow misplaced the link to that awesome, strange article that mentioned one specific village that was perfect for my scene, no more searching everywhere for the image that I had intended to save to the right folder for inspiration later...well, you get the idea.

Write on!
K

4 comments

  1. Unknown on December 12, 2008 at 8:25 AM

    ooh. I love anything that will help keep me organized... but after a recent macbook crash, i try to make those "littlenotes" in a little diary in which i jot said notes with colored pens... after I'm done doodling, of course.
    tx for stopping by...
    adding you to my bloglist too
    linda

     
  2. KA Cole on December 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM

    Hey there!
    Thanks for the add, and fwiw, I'm so far loving Evernote for online organizing.

    I am also, as of today, committing to only writing my 'notes' for my novel in a small ring binder. I'm so tired of constantly trying to corral all these little scraps and stickies into one place.

    K

     
  3. Sandra Hamlett on December 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM

    I've tried various systems to get me organized but I'm hopeless when it comes to remembering to use them. What has been working for me is to keep a writing journal for the novel I'm working on. It's filled with bits of angst, character or plot revelations, and info sources. So far it's been working but I'm just working on the sloppy-copy (as my daughter calls it).

     
  4. KA Cole on December 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM

    Hi Sandra,

    I started doing this last week. It's working great so far. I think overall it just helps me not feel so scatter-brained, because instead of searching for the scraps of napkin that have that precious scene idea, I now know exactly where I will find recent musings.

    For online stuff, I am happy to report that Evernote still ROCKS!

    K