For some odd reason I've become rather obsessed with discerning just exactly where my book fits in. (Hmm, there's a life-lesson in there somewhere ;>).

The Soul's Beloved began as a memoir, based on events in my life when I was a young adult. But there is a twist - and this twist, arguably, is fictional (because it involves past lives, and the opinion of a somewhat irascible soul. And I say 'arguably' because I realize that reincarnation is considered a theory by some. Clearly, not by me).

Anyway, so it is not a memoir. It is not straight fiction, nor is it clearly non-fiction. I thought it may be Visionary Fiction, but ...eh. Am I talented enough [gulp] to pull off Literary Fiction? I sure like the definition, from Wikipedia:

In broad terms, literary fiction focuses more on style, psychological depth, and character, whereas mainstream commercial fiction (the page-turner) focuses more on
narrative and plot.?

Well, that would take care of my current issues with plot. [brushes hands to signal 'done with that!'] Is it Narrative Fiction? Who knows...and is it technically even in the Genre arena?

Right now, it's subtitle is: A Novel Based on a True Life.

6 comments

  1. Sarah Hina on December 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM

    Huh. Genres confound me. I understand their importance for marketing, but otherwise, who needs 'em? ;)

    I would guess, from what I know, that your book slides into the literary fiction format. The writing, character and ideas take prevalence over action-packed plot and more standard pay-offs.

     
  2. Beth on December 2, 2008 at 12:45 PM

    Thought I'd pay you a return visit. Actually, I stopped by earlier today, but didn't have time to leave a comment then. In the interim, you redecorated. (g) Did you design the backgrounds yourself? The effect is beautiful. I'd love to do something like that but wouldn't know where to begin.

    As to genre, literary might be the ticket.

     
  3. KA Cole on December 2, 2008 at 2:07 PM

    Hi Sarah,

    I like the tact of "Who needs 'em?" [lol]. Thanks!

    I was recently perusing query blogs and the like, and realized that I wasn't sure where TSB "fit" - hence, the pondering. Considering it as Literary Fiction does give me a challenging bar to reach for. I tend to perform well under pressure, so... [crossing fingers].

    K

     
  4. KA Cole on December 2, 2008 at 2:09 PM

    Hi Beth,
    Thank you for stopping by! Yes, I am still playing with the look. I'm working on creating my own header in photoshop, and then it will all change again. But I do like this one. If you look in the upper lefthand corner, you will see a link to a site with free backgrounds - there are over 300! That is where I have been getting these.

    And yes, I'm thinking it may be Literary Fiction. [gulp] Now if I can just get enough time to sit and let the words flow once more...

    K

     
  5. Beth on December 3, 2008 at 6:11 AM

    If you look in the upper lefthand corner, you will see a link to a site with free backgrounds - there are over 300!

    Gulp. The temptation...

    (g)

     
  6. writermeeg on December 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM

    Thanks so much for visiting, Kimberely, and for adding me to your blogroll! I love your subtitle. I'm a big fan of thinking "outside of the box"! ;) Megan